Monday, January 17, 2011

1st Week Interning

This is my summary of the 1st week of interning.

Mon (Jan 10): This is my first day of work. I wake up ready to go to intern in the morning. I learn it will take me somewhere between 35-40 minutes to get to The Raynham Channel from my house. I show up to the Channel and ring the bell to let me in. (The Raynham Channel is built inside the Raynham Middle School, but has its own side entrance.) Mike, the Executive Director of the Channel, lets me in. He is my supervisor for this intern experience.

We start off the day talking about what we are going to do and our plans for this internship. In our first meeting, my interview to become an intern, we had talked about new shows we would like to make and now it is time to go through with these ideas. Mike tells me he has already called up a few places to start a show in which we profile businesses in Raynham. Originally, we wanted to do a show that is about local restaurants, but the new idea is to expand to all businesses.

A place called Rick's Music World agreed to have a segment with us. I write down questions I would like to ask Rick, the owner. I do the best I can, without seeing the place, making a plan for how I would like the segment to be.

That day, I follow Mike down to Rick's to start shooting. Rick isn't there today for interviewing, but I was able to shoot around the store. Mike leaves and I begin shooting. I gather many different shots throughout the store trying to get as much b-roll as I can to fill a 15-minute slot for a 30min show. I was also allowed to film a music lesson that was going on which is very helpful for the segment.

After the shoot, I drive back to the Channel with the footage. I upload it and begin naming all my clips. I pull out various clips that I like and make a short sequence of the clips. I feel ready to interview Rick and put together a strong sequence for the segment.

Tue (Jan 11): I showed up today and we talked more about plans for upcoming events. Mike has been calling a lot of places in order for us to interview them and such. I make some more plans for upcoming events. We plan on doing a segment about the Raynham Flea Market. I put together the plans and the questions I want to ask.

I go back to Rick's today to shoot the interview. Rick is a nice guy and gives me a free Coke while he finishes up some things he has to do. While he finishes these things, I set up the camera in a back room for the interview.

Rick comes up and we dress up the area he'll be sitting in with two guitars. He holds one and one is on the ground. I get Rick mic'd up and we do the interview. The interview goes smoothly and I feel I've gotten the footage that is needed.

Back at the Channel, I upload all the clips I got and organize everything to make a segment. I plan the order of the questions and the story that I want to tell. I work for awhile editing as much as I can before I go.

Wed (Jan 12): There is a big snow storm and work is canceled for today. I do create a YouTube site for the Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/RaynhamChannel?feature=mhum . It's currently empty, but it will eventually have videos uploaded onto it.

Thur (Jan 13): This is another snow day.

Fri (Jan 14): I make a lot of phone calls at work today. Mike gives me all the info he's gotten and gives me the responsibility to make calls. We talk about a new show that Mike calls "Mass Produced". In this show I will visit companies in Massachusetts that produce things.

I called up a lot of places today and got to leave a lot of messages. I did get in contact with Polar Beverages and we agreed to have an interview and shoot the factory on Tuesday (Jan 18). The seemed like really nice people over the phone. I was able to speak to Chris Crowley, Executive VP of Polar Beverages, in order to set up the shoot. I talked to the people at St. Pierre Manufacturing also and I am hopeful we can set something up with them.

I was able to speak with the makers of Fluff, but I was told they don't do interviews or have any cameras in the factory.

I set up other meetings for the week of Jan 17- Jan 21 during this calling session. On Wed (Jan 19), Julie Barnes from All Occasions by JB will be coming in to shoot a segment. She is a wedding event planner. On Thur (Jan 20), I will be going to Eclectic Karate to interview Scott about the Karate School.

For the rest of the day I edited together the Rick's segment. I spent a lot of time editing, but at the end of the day I think I have a pretty good cut. It came out to be a little less than 13minutes which works well for a half hour show about two businesses. This show is still unnamed, but is separate from Mass Produced. This is just about local businesses.

It was a successful day and a lot was accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment